Is there a read-only version of the Opportunity Catalog that I can see before I start the process?
How do I find a troop for my daughter?
Search the Opportunity Catalog by zip code to find troop opportunities for girls and volunteers.
What information is included in an Opportunity Catalog listing?
- The listing includes the meeting time, approximate location, the troop number and age/grade level. We never list the exact location of a troop meeting, but we do give a general sense of the location (a nearby intersection or landmark) to help families select a troop that works best for them.
- Sometimes troops choose to include a description that shares their interests, including camping, faith-based, community service or travel, so that girls with common interests can join!
How do I add a girl to my troop?
- All girls join Girl Scouts online and select a troop from the Opportunity Catalog. For example, if a friend wants to join a specific troop, ask her caregiver to visit gsirlscoutsneny.org and click on “Join Today” on the website home page. The system will walk her caregiver through the steps to becoming a member.
- As long as the troop vacancies are on display, new members will find them in the Opportunity Catalog. To make it easy for someone to find a specific troop in the Opportunity Catalog, make sure they have the five-digit troop number and enter it without a space between the letters and numbers. (Ex: Troop12345)
What if I don’t know the new girl who joined our troop online?
- This is perhaps the best part of being a Girl Scout – you know, make new friends! Since the system is searchable by zip code, we expect that most caregivers will enroll their daughter in the area where they live or near the school she attends. When a new girl joins a troop, the leader will get an email notification.
- The automated email will prompt the leader to reach out and welcome the new Girl Scout to the troop. This connection is really important because it serves as a warm welcome and it’s an opportunity to share important next steps, including troop meeting dates, times, and location.
Can a troop opt out of the Opportunity Catalog?
- The short answer is no. All girls and volunteers join online through the Opportunity Catalog, and all vacancies need to be on display. Admittedly, this question is a tough one because it indicates there may be fears or concerns about the new process. Our hope is that you overcome those concerns, so let us know more about how you’re feeling and we’ll talk about it. Contact us at RegTeam@girlscoutsneny.org or call our Member Care team at 518-489-8110.
How do I get more adults to join the troop as volunteers?
- Because a caregiver will select a troop whose meeting date and time fits their schedules – our hope is that more parents will also choose a volunteer role in the troop from the opportunities that are on display in the Opportunity Catalog.
- Volunteers do not necessarily need to be the parents of the girl members in the troop; however, all adult volunteers need to pass the background screening process. If caregivers don’t voluntarily select a role for themselves when they register their girl online, and the troop needs leadership, GSNENY staff and Service Unit Managers will make the ask.
What is the recommended troop size?
- We recommend 12 girls per troop to provide a diverse, interactive experience for the girls. If you have room for more girls, or you have volunteer roles that need filled, please put your vacancies on display in the Opportunity Catalog.
How do I share vacancies in my troop in the Opportunity Catalog?
- You can update your Troop Information at any time during the year by logging in to MyGS. For example, if the desired number of girls is 12, but there are only 10 girls in the troop. Two vacancies may be displayed in the Opportunity Catalog until those spots are filled.
What if I have an opening mid-year?
- The Opportunity Catalog is updated in real time, and you can change your Troop Information at any time by logging in to MyGS.
What happens if girls don’t renew by September 30?
- If any members do not renew by September 30, their spots will open up and should be placed on display in the Opportunity Catalog beginning October 1.
- Please consider renewing all girls – even those who are undecided, if they participated in the product sale program(s). Oftentimes, girls will return to the troop after a busy fall season of extracurricular activities.
- Girls who wait to renew between October 1 and March 1 may renew to their current troop; however, they may overfill the troop. If girls want to renew after March 1, they will need to select a troop from those on display in the Opportunity Catalog.